Digital tens machine is a type of device that uses mild electric current to ease muscle, nerve and various pains in the body. TENS or Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation machine is often used in the following applications:
- Dysmenorrhea or period pain
- Knee pain
- Back pain
- Labour pains
- Neck pain
- Sports injuries
The machine is used by attaching pads to the skin. It should be attached it to the affected area. When the machine is switched on, it will send direct electrical impulses to the body thereby causing a tingling sensation. The small electrical doses reduce the pain signals to the spinal column up to the brain resulting to the ease of pain and muscle relaxation. The small amount of electricity could also trigger the release of endorphins or the body’s natural painkillers.
How to Use TENS Machine
Before using the device, read the manufacturer’s manual. The device is lightweight and can be used even if you are working or in the middle of an activity. Digital tens machine can be placed in your belt, pocket and you can also hold it while in use. There is also no limit to how long you can use the machine but you should not use the device while operating a machine, driving or in the shower. Here are additional information:
- The device should be switched off before it is attached to your body.
- Place the pads on the affected area for at least 2.5cm or 1 inch apart from each pad.
- Do not use the pads in your front or side part of your neck, on your temples, eyes, mouth, varicose veins, broken or irritated skin and on your chest and upper back part simultaneously.
- The machine should not be used on numb areas.
To use Digital tens machine, attach the pads to your skin then turn it on. Start on a low setting then increase it as needed. Make sure that you are comfortable with the sensation. You can control the strength of electrical impulses on the dial found on the device. Switch it the device off when you are done.